Saturday, September 10, 2005

3D Game Development Out-Sourcing to India


India is really coming out with all side cannons firing.

Programming has been going over for a while now, cheap... As expected.

Today I found an e-mail in my inbox, from a company from India. I often get ones from a Company in the UK about if I want to publish my games to the Russian audience. But this one was about if I wanted to Out-Source the 3D modelling aspect of Game Dev to them.

I get these e-mails because they find my details at Garage Games. A great start for any one with C++ knowledge and wants a real engine to develop with.

I am rather shocked at this really. I don't like all this out-sourcing. I'm not a company just a hobbyist, so it is a rather good idea for me cheap and effective (I guess? it could be really shotty). I just don't like the idea that stacks of artist jobs will go to India and thus kick out our local 3D modellers.

With this said, I don't really have a reason as to why it’s wrong to Out-Source the work. But it just seems wrong to leave your fellow workers aside for an out-sourced work.

I don't see the larger companies using this(id Software, Atari, Remedy etc), as they won't have complete control over what happens with the works (mesh, skins, animations...). But smaller companies that produce 1000s of cheap games made in no-programming required environments like Virtools (mainly for console games) I'm sure they use it a lot.

And that makes me come to another thing, how can they let Virtools exist! Sure it’s a fantastic piece of software, congrats for the great job, but don’t use it! Some poor people get handed that for Game Development courses that they pay $1000's for.

3D Artists maybe wearing T-Shirts much like this soon also.


(T-shirt image from www.theregister.co.uk you can also buy a mug there)

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Hehe... aah... the implications of the free market - capitalism at it's best? (I'm not much of an economist, so correct me if this is wrong!)

1:25 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:03 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

EDIT (removed above):

Yeah I would agree with you, it's the Capitalist Pig's dream.

On another note, TPG the ISP has moved its call centres abroad. (They where already seen as having bad enough support) So that’s 103 technical service people out of the job.

I never thought there would be smaller companies of that scale moving to use the abroad services.

2:06 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...


It is important to know about the india sourcing company and offshore development. Thanks for such a nice blog.
India Sourcing Company

9:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home